Communication is the live-wire of any relationship. Communication is vital to the sustainability of every thriving home and marriage. There is no marriage or home with CRISIS that doesn’t first start with COMMUNICATION GAP. If you see a couple at loggerheads, being distant or a presence of family tension here and there, check it; COMMUNICATION is DEAD.
What are the 5 things to do to boost effective and robust communication in your home and marriage especially if you are married to a non communicator or bridge the communication gap;
1) Deal with your own Heart first – Make sure your heart is open. Ensure the reason for communicating isn’t about fighting for your right. If the purpose of the communication is to fight for your right and prove that you are right, you will meet a major brickwall with your partner.
2) Learn to Feed yourself – If you must communicate effectively in marriage, learn to feed yourself. Stop expecting your spouse to feed you. Stop expecting your spouse to give you what only God can give you. You need to constantly validate yourself and drive your happiness. Your happiness is influenced from inside-out and not the other way round.
3) Enter your spouse’s world – Spend conscious time and energy seeking the key to the heart and mind of your spouse. You must study your spouse to a level of understanding. Engage in critical questions; is it his/her upbringing that makes them unapproachable? Instead of fighting and throwing tantrums, seek to know the stuff your spouse is made of.
4) Draw out your spouse – Bring out your spouse from that inability to communicate by simply INSPIRING them. Forcing someone to communicate is different from inspiring them to communicate. Create a safe place for your spouse to share and unburden himself or herself. It must be safe for your partner to communicate with you. SAFETY PROMOTES COMMUNICATION!
5) Be a Quick Listener and Be Sensitive- There are verbal and non verbal communications. Often times, your partner can be communicating something vital using non verbal approach, be quick to pick such vibes. Be sensitive to unspoken words. Make eye contact. Be attentive when he/she speaks. Maintain an open mind. Don’t be defensive or argumentative. Ask positive questions.
©️ Korede Komaiya